Wednesday, October 17, 2012

For the Handyman Who Ain’t – IKEA


First of all, for those of you who are deeply offended by my use of the word “ain’t” in the title of this week’s blog entry, sorry. Well, sort of. If I were truly sorry, I probably wouldn’t have used it in the first place. It just reminds me of a saying one of my nursery school teachers would say when she heard a kid use the word: “…‘Ain’t’ ain’t a word, and we ain’t gonna say it.” As I child, I always found that saying to be totally stupid. Who was the genius that thought that it would be remotely useful to use a disdained word three times in one sentence as a reminder not to use the word at all? To this day, this saying makes absolutely no sense to me. Granted, I actually do remember the sentence, but I was never one to use “ain’t” in any case – unless, of course, for narrative emphasis. It’s a cheap trick, I know. But it gets results.

This entry actually isn’t about the etymology of the word “ain’t”; it’s about IKEA. (Whoa! You’re probably wondering where that came from. As you should already know by now, randomness comes second nature to me.) If you are over the age of 18 and don’t live at home with your parents anymore, you probably know of which store I am referring to. I don’t know if I can call IKEA a “store”. I personally liken it to being one of Big Brother’s Labs created to look like a massive furniture store. You either love the place or you don’t; but depending on the size of your budget, you probably end up going there either way.

Such has been the case with us. I usually like shopping, I guess. But I’m the kind of person who’s always on some kind of mission. That means I go in, I look for the specific items I need or want, I look at some additional items that might catch my eye for a little while, and then I’m ready to make the purchase and move on my next mini-mission. At IKEA, however, you may as well write off half a day before you even get in the car to drive there. Insanely enough, those Swedes found a way to make furniture shopping a universally torturous glorious experience around the world.

IKEA, here in Germany, pronounced “EE-KAY-AH”, forces you to walk through a maze, going so far as to adding a blue or yellow dotted line to “guide” you along the way. (Are you feeling like a lab rat yet?) Even if you know exactly what you want, say, an inexpensive office chair, you must walk through at least four unrelated departments before you can get to the one you want. Along the way, you must battle through people who stop the flow of traffic to look at a purple Bårgy, whatever that is, and leave their cart – and infant child, mind you – unattended to gaze at this new IKEA item in wonderment. Meanwhile, as you try to skirt this diversion by walking on the other side, you’re side blocked by a group of confused looking people walking in the opposite direction of the obnoxious dotted line, who, in addition to having failed the first test, also look irritable and confrontational as people continue to get in their way.

By the way, if you are in a hurry, you are an idiot for going to IKEA in the first place.

I’m not going to get into the details of the IKEA shopping experience. Scholars have written books on the place, and focus specifically on the manipulative techniques and product placement used to intentionally create psychological experiences before and after the sale. I know many people who scoff at their products and claim that they’re so inferior to other brands, blah, blah, blah, but when we go to visit them at their place and see their Billy bookshelves etc., they sheepishly admit that “for now” they, too will “settle” for IKEA products. Whatever. I know other people who go there with their kids and have a celebrated “IKEA” day, which is absolutely horrifying to me. My husband and I do not celebrate going to this store. We do not ride there thinking, “Yippee! We’re going to be herded around like cattle, wait in an exasperatingly long line and have to figure out how to fit these crazy boxes in a car that is clearly not large enough to accommodate them.” We don’t eat the scary hydrogenated pellets or anything else they have to offer in their canteen, so by the time we’ve finally selected all that we need and pay the fee to have the majority of that mess delivered directly to our home, we’re exhausted, starving and ready to drop kick the happy families leaving the store with 1 Euro hotdogs and 50 cent ice cream cones in hand. This actually was an excursion for them!

Back at home; when it’s time to build up the items, I can’t begin to tell you what change comes over my husband. He gets this determined look on his face, pulls out the instruction manual and all of his tools and gets to work. He’s going to build something, gosh darn it! At this point, he clearly has this major surge of testosterone, which I find to be perplexingly sexy and hilarious at the same time. For the love of humanity, it’s just an IKEA bedroom set, but after you’ve taken those countless hours to build your adult Lego-home, you can’t help by feel a major sense of accomplishment. The best thing about IKEA items is that when you put together something that you’re going to be using on a daily basis, you have a deeper sense of attachment to it because you helped bring that particular item into being. You’re proactively contributing to the betterment of your living space and you’re doing the family budget a favor at the same time.

Our IKEA shopping binges are always an eye-opener for me. As annoying and generally frustrating as I find it to be, it still amazes me how many things you can actually buy in one place for your interior decorating needs. Through your efforts and the genius that is IKEA, you and Big Brother’s Furniture Lab have brought you one step closer to making your house, your apartment, your loft, or whatever – a home.

©2012 CountryEuroCityMouse. All rights reserved.